kimmihanceDESMA9

Art and Math

I have always been more naturally inclined toward art than I have been toward math. It was really interesting to hear just how much influence the two cultures have on one another. When comparing the two, I found that art and math are closely connected in ways I had never even considered. Professor Vesna began the lecture by pointing out the simple concept of basic shapes such as circles, squares, and rectangles. Because of the simplicity of these shapes, I feel that their use of them in art is often underappreciated.  Though these shapes are simple, Professor Vesna also pointed out that perfectly creating these shapes takes a lot of mathematics. Another concept from the lecture that I found interesting was vanishing points and perspective. As a person interested in art, this wasn't the first time I had heard of these concepts, though it was interesting to hear their history of them. Specifically the beginning attempts of creating a three-dimensional image and on a two-dimensional canvas. 

 Another concept discussed in the lecture that I have always been interested in is architecture. It was interesting to learn about how artists use the golden ratio and how it is not only used two-dimensionally but also in architecture dating back to 423 BC.  

The Crochet The Coral Reef Project really stood out to me from this week's materials not only because the art itself was beautiful but the message behind the project as well. The Coral Reef Project combines art, and applied mathematics, and addresses the science behind climate change. Unfortunately, the earth's coral reefs are being destroyed by pollution and climate change. Each of the millions of individual stitches of crochet coral reef represents a living reef and serves as a reminder of how much we need them.

Crochet Coral Reef. (n.d.). Retrieved April 14, 2023, from https://crochetcoralreef.org/about/theproject/

Hammond, L. (2017, December 11). How to create depth in art. Artists Network. Retrieved April 14, 2023, from https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-mediums/drawing/create-depth-in-art/

Tue, C. (n.d.). The golden ratio revealed in 7 Masterpieces. Art & Object. Retrieved April 14, 2023, from https://www.artandobject.com/slideshows/golden-ratio-revealed-7-masterpieces

Vanishing Points and Looking at Art:

http://www.cs.ucf.edu/courses/cap6938-02/refs/VanishingPoints.pdf

Vesna. (2012, April 9). Mathematics-PT1-ZeroPerspectiveGoldenMean.mov. YouTube. Retrieved April 14, 2023, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmq5B1LKDg&ab_channel=UCOnline

Comments